Miss Sylvester → Mrs. Steere
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! I am so excited to have your child in my English class. Writing and reading are extremely important and we will be doing a lot of it!
- Be respectful. Respect yourself, your peers, your teachers, and the space
- Follow all school rules (ex. Cell phones are to remain inside their lockers)
- Be prepared
- Be responsible for your learning (by participating and doing your work)
- Complete all work on time and at the appropriate level
- Plagiarism is not acceptable or tolerated.
- Reading closely for textual evidence
- Making evidence based claims
- Research to deepen understanding
- Building evidence based arguments
- Students are expected to have their independent reading book with them at all times. They are reading during home-base and allotted class time.
- Independent reading project. Once per quarter each student will create and present a book talk.
- It will be graded as a test.
- Reading area—students can utilize the reading area during flex seating times and independent reading.
- We have a Chromebook cart in our classroom, students are assigned one number at the beginning of the school year. They are responsible for that number for the school year.
- Students need to abide by the school technology rules while using the Chromebooks.
- In lieu of a final test, the students’ final grade will be a compilation of their major writing assignments, one for each of the major units and a 5th chosen piece.
- All writing assignments will stay in class.
- Grades will be conducted on a point scale, the more important the assignment, the more points there will be for it.
- Grades will be complied of: participation 10%, homework 15%, essays 30%, quizzes 20% and tests 25%.
Connecting with me:
- I am here, daily, from 2:50-3:20 pm. Students can always stay after school until 3:20. They can notify me they are coming by signing up at the front of the classroom.
- I will always notify the students if, for some reason, my schedule has changed.
- You can contact me at msylvester@Frankfort-Schuyler.org or at my phone number: (315)-895-7011 ext. 3206